top of page

Visa in Australia: Do I need NAATI translations?

How many times have we desired to apply for a student or tourist visa, but we don't know what type of translation to submit?

There are different types of translations: official, certified, NAATI, specialized, etc., but with so much information on the Internet, it is difficult to know which translation works best to our interests. The difference often lies in the type of certification that the translator has; some other times, it is different terms that refer to the same type of translation. If you still don’t know the difference, I invite you to look at this article.

NAATI translations are translations by translators accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). These are the translators formally recognised in Australia in the exercise of translation. However, that doesn’t mean that we should use a NAATI translator for ALL the paperwork we do in the country; we should use a NAATI translator.

There are times when translations by a certified professional translator are entirely valid. For example, suppose you are applying for a tourism visa. In that case, the Department of Home Affairs website says that if you are in Australia at the time of applying for the visa, you must use a NAATI translator, but if you are not, you can use a CERTIFIED translator.

"An English translation must accompany documents in languages other than English. If you are in Australia when applying, use translators accredited by the National Accreditation Authority of Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). For more information, see NAATI. If you are outside Australia when applying, the English translation must be completed by a qualified translator and must be endorsed by the translator with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated."

This is not a rule that applies to all visa types. The most important thing is to review the instructions of the entity requesting the documentation and make sure you are clear about the kind of translation you are being asked for.

On a general level, I can tell you that the easiest way to clarify it is to use the "discard rule". If in the instructions you do not explicitly ask for translations to be made by a NAATI translator, you can ideally use a certified translator.

If you still have doubts, do not worry! You can contact Entrelingo through Facebook, where we can guide you. If you need certified translations, NAATI, or any other type, do not hesitate to order them through

Mafe G. | Director of Operations and Customer Service | Entrelingo

#translations #internationalstudents #naati #visa #immigration #australia #newzealand #naatitranslations #certifiedtranslations #naatitranslators #certifiedtranslators #naatitranslations #certifiedtranslations #oficialtranslations #profesionaltranslations